Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

3 posters

Arrangements and negotiations

Curtana
    Curtana
    God
    God

Arrangements and negotiations - Page 2 Empty Re: Arrangements and negotiations

Post by Curtana 25/02/13, 08:07 pm

Aleyn took Vedran's hand, and, a bit awkwardly, offered his other one to Ardith. "You're going too?"
    Josh
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh 25/02/13, 08:10 pm

"You didn't think I'd marry you both and send you off to meet gods know what in Nachtur without me, did you?" Ardith replied with a smirk as she took Aleyn's hand as well. "I'm not a fighter, certainly, but I'm a trained healer. Jesseryn, Brenn, and Jeremyn can handle things with the Parliament, and, worse comes to worst, I'm only a portal away from the city. I'm sure my House will make sure I'm amply protected."
    elanya
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya 25/02/13, 08:13 pm

Vedran wasn't sure whether he felt more worried or relieved, but managed to return her smirk. "Does that mean we can count on House Aethelin for some troops, then?"
    Josh
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh 25/02/13, 10:36 pm

"I'm still lobbying, but yes. Its all just negotiation now. Obviously, there's a lot of that going around."
    Curtana
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana 25/02/13, 10:46 pm

Aleyn smiled, giving each of their hands a squeeze. It felt less awkward than it had even a few moments before. "I imagine we have more we need to talk about ... maybe we could move to somewhere a little more comfortable? Like the parlour," he added hastily, in case anyone thought he was making a less appropriate suggestion.
    elanya
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya 25/02/13, 10:51 pm

Vedran squeezed Aleyn's hand in return, smirking at him in turn. "The parlour is a great idea, yes. Shall we?"
    Josh
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh 26/02/13, 11:27 pm

"Sounds excellent," Ardith replied with a smile, rising to make her way to the parlour. "And, yes, we have a lot of decisions to make in a relatively short amount of time, amidst a whole other round of important business."
    Curtana
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana 26/02/13, 11:41 pm

Once they were in the parlour, Aleyn took a seat on the couch. "I was trying to think of what else we need to talk about, but it feels sort of overwhelming... contracts, kids, housing... I'm probably forgetting things too."
    elanya
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya 26/02/13, 11:57 pm

Vedran nodded, hesitating briefly before taking a sea on the chaise longue. "Kids and contracts sort of go together. Housing is important but maybe less immediately pressing. The other immediate thing is still the ceremony details. I guess for that we're looking at a relatively small group. How formal do we want to be with it - or many, how fancy?"
    Curtana
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana 27/02/13, 12:18 am

"I wasn't imagining something really fancy, but if that's what you want, we can do that," Aleyn said, looking a bit nervous at the prospect. "The most important thing for me is saying the vows, not what we wear or what other stuff goes on around the words... although we don't even know what those are yet, so that's another thing to think about... I mean, what will we be to each other, afterwards? Will I be your... husband? Both of you?" He looked between Vedran and Ardith uncertainly.
    Josh
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh 27/02/13, 09:21 am

"That's a good question," Ardith replied, pondering. "That doesn't really seem the right word, I would think, at least with me. 'Partner' also seems strange, though it sounds a bit more accurate."
    elanya
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya 27/02/13, 09:53 am

"I think that's an easier question for me, at least. I would want you to be my husband," he said to Aleyn, then turned to Ardith, "and you my wife. There's also the more generic term 'spouse', or spouses, I suppose. Partner might be something we can grow into," he added with a smile.
    Curtana
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana 27/02/13, 12:23 pm

"I like 'partner' best," Aleyn said, mostly to Ardith, "even if it's not exactly right - it sounds like we're working on something together, and I think that's a good start for... what we are, and what we share." He turned to look at Vedran. "'Husband' sounds right for us, I agree. And 'spouses' is what we'll all be to each other, everyone the same. So maybe in the vows we can use any or all of those words where they fit best. There was something else Vedran said to me not too long ago," he continued, "that he would never lie or keep things from me. I think that concept is important to put in too, if you both agree - that no matter what we tell the rest of the world, amongst ourselves we'll be honest."
    Josh
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh 28/02/13, 05:33 pm

"If you feel its important to explicitly state, sure," Ardith replied. "I guess I assumed honesty was something of a given? As to the ceremony itself, I would think less formal? I'd like to dress up some, but I'm sure the public spectacle will be...well, a spectacle anyway. This is for us, so it should be comfortable, right?"
    Curtana
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana 28/02/13, 05:39 pm

"Well, I guess a lot of things in your average wedding vows ought to be something of a given - love, respect, trust - but people say them anyway," Aleyn said with a smile. "And certainly, I am all in favour of us being comfortable with whatever we choose to wear as well as say. I'm not one for going overboard with glamour, but I'd at least expect to buy a new suit for the occasion. I doubt Vedran would let me get away with wearing something I've already worn elsewhere," he added with a wink.
    elanya
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya 28/02/13, 08:16 pm

Vedran smirked. "Well I suppose it depends *where* you've worn it," he said, putting on his most overblown arrogant tone, then continuing more teasingly. "You know, I can do informal. I can even do casual in the right circumstances." He shook his head. "But really, that's all fine with me. Ideally, I would like us all to feel comfortable, and I think Ardith is right, too, about the public ceremony. As for the vows... I'd rather they be something that are meaningful to us, not just rote. I'm not even sure there is a 'rote' for situations like this anyway."
    Curtana
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana 28/02/13, 08:31 pm

"That was pretty much my point," Aleyn said with a half-smile. "We should say what's important for us - for me, that includes honesty. So what sort of things would each of you feel is important to include in the vows? "
    Josh
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh 28/02/13, 09:01 pm

"I think I'd like us to say something about always working together," Ardith said uncertainly. "I think it would be all too easy to...splinter, I guess. We need to make sure that everyone has a say in any decisions we make about our family."
    elanya
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya 28/02/13, 09:54 pm

Vedran nodded again. "I like both of those things - that we be honest with each other, and try to work together to build our family. I..." he hesitated, continuing somewhat anxiously after a pause. "I want us to... try and make each other happy, to talk and listen... I guess that goes with what you both already said. I want... us to be able to trust and rely on each other... To care about each other." He looked for a moment like he might have more to say, but he closed his mouth and smiled nervously instead.
    Curtana
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana 28/02/13, 10:29 pm

"... to take care of each other and protect each other," Aleyn suggested with a reassuring smile. "I like the sounds of all of that. That's what a family is supposed to do, I hope. Certainly that's what I want our family to do."

elanya
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya 01/03/13, 12:39 pm

"Right. Yes." Vedran took a deep breath, and let it out slowly. "Sorry. It's just... I went in to my last marriage... thinking all these things, about trust, and.. taking care of each other, and honesty, and.. love. And it didn't turn out that way. I though this time I would try to be more... pragmatic? And so this is all... a lot more than I'd let myself hope for, but I'm still nervous. I'm glad we're all talking about it, because if helps me know what we do all want, that I'm not just taking things for granted again. The vows, to me - for us, for this time - are about... setting the right tone, maybe? And so..." He smiled at Aleyn, then looked to Ardith before continuing, offering her his hand again. "I know things are moving really fast, and I know we talked about... taking things at our own pace, being comfortable. And that's good, because I want to get to know you better still, even though I already like you very much. But I know I love Aleyn, though it took me a while to sort it out. And I guess... I just want to know if love is something you want between us - if its alright for me to want that, and if you think we should say it."
    Josh
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh 01/03/13, 12:58 pm

Ardith took the offered hand, looking pensive.

"I don't want to put pressure on you, but, yes, someday, in some capacity, I hope we grow to love each other. I don't think I could not want that from a spouse."

She gave a wink towards Aleyn.

"Yes, that means you too, though obviously in a different capacity," Ardith said, smiling, before turning back to Vedran.

"As for the vows, they'll be in the public ones regardless, but I'm not sure about the private ones. I don't want to promise something neither of us is entirely in control of. Loyalty, friendship, cooperation, those I can offer whole-heartedly. But we haven't had the time for certain feelings to...mature, and likely won't on the timeline we're working with. Like we've said, I want to be honest."
    elanya
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya 01/03/13, 01:02 pm

He nodded, looking a little relieved. "Alright - but it won't bother you, if I do say it, in the vows, to Aleyn?"
    Josh
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh 01/03/13, 01:05 pm

"No, I want you to say what's in your heart," Ardith said with only a slight wistfulness.
    elanya
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya 01/03/13, 01:26 pm

"Okay, thank you." He gave her hand a squeeze, but didn't let go. "Did we have more we wanted to say, then about the vows? Or do we want to move on to something else? I know we have a lot to sort out."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 19/05/24, 10:24 am