Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

3 posters

An Unannounced (and Unwanted) Visitor

elanya
    elanya
    God
    God

An Unannounced (and Unwanted) Visitor - Page 2 Empty Re: An Unannounced (and Unwanted) Visitor

Post by elanya 20/03/13, 11:36 pm

Vedran nodded again. "I'd buy it, though it does feel like the Geyr Hextor are pretty central in all of this. Kallista's mentioned that they have some kind of supreme leader, and some powerful priests and ritual magic... It could be they're communicating with some kind of higher power. Things are getting shaken up everywhere it seems - The Thunderbolts even encountered a Formorian in the Feywild."
    Josh
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

An Unannounced (and Unwanted) Visitor - Page 2 Empty Re: An Unannounced (and Unwanted) Visitor

Post by Josh 20/03/13, 11:40 pm

Irek frowned at that, filing it away for further analysis.

"That's...troubling. You think it's connected?"
    elanya
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya 20/03/13, 11:46 pm

"I certainly hope not, but I'm not banking on my luck. As for the cult, based on what I know of them, I have a hard time imagining who might be able to direct them externally, without being strongly tied to Kossuth, or at least to Bael Turath."
    Josh
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh 20/03/13, 11:52 pm

"That's the issue. As far as Kossuth goes, they're pretty much it. But Turath...there're plenty of groups in Nerath claiming that heritage."

"I don't want to rule out other possibilities, though. Many of the Geyr Hextor are true believers, sure, but some of their leadership are more pragmatic about their methods and goals. Anyone who could promise them a real chance at hurting Nerath, or bringing back Bael Turath, might have a chance at their cooperation."
    elanya
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya 20/03/13, 11:54 pm

"I wish we knew more about who Damakos had been working with - that's the first I know of the stones being involved at all, and surely his research would have sgtarted at least eighteen months ago... *That* certainly can't be a coincidence."
    Josh
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh 21/03/13, 12:07 am

"Well, I understand you're familiar with at least on of Damakos's old associates, and your allies are more familiar with another. My concern is who got him onto the stones in the first place, and who exactly got him the stone he was working with. The people most closely associated with its care back in Mythragal all seem to have conveniently disappeared."
    elanya
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya 21/03/13, 12:32 am

Vedran nodded slowly. "I'll see what I can find out about that." He knew Sorrow and the Dead Rats were involved, but he wasn't honestly sure how much any of them knew about the broader orchestration of the theft, nor was he willing to put them in Himrall's hands without a shot at them first himself.
    Josh
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh 21/03/13, 06:33 am

"In the end, this doesn't particularly change what you need to do, it just adds complications. Your preparations seem adequate so far, but I should warn you, I'm not above involving...outside help if it looks like things might not go your way."
    elanya
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya 21/03/13, 07:28 am

Vedran had started to nod again - he would warn Agyness right away, and get in touch with Sorrow as well, of course - but the last statement gave him pause, partly because it was late and wasn't sure he entirely understood. "Outside to what? Our cause?" If that was what he meant, it might make it harder to establish Goblinoid control of the city, at least not without a lot of infighting.
    Josh
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh 21/03/13, 11:15 pm

"Yes. You're bringing, what, no more than fifteen hundred, judging by the supplies you've been moving through the city. That's a good force, but its an entire city full of demons, a fair number of which I think the Geyr Hextor can propitiate or bully into joining them, at least temporarily. I'm willing to give you the chance to do this your way, on a smaller scale. But, if push comes to shove, and especially if we get a portal in place, I can, and will, call in reinforcements from across Nerath."
    elanya
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya 21/03/13, 11:36 pm

Vedran took another sip of his brandy, trying to wish away the oncoming headache. A city full of demons was one thing - a city full of *organized* demons was quite another. And while drawing on outside forces would severely undermine their chances for the social changes they were hoping to enact, knowing the cult's plans, they really couldn't afford to lose. "I understand," he answered after a moment. "I just hope, if it comes to that, Nerath won't tear itself apart with internal conflicts." he shrugged - if it came to that, and they'd failed, there was a good chance he wouldn't be around to do much about it.

Josh
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh 21/03/13, 11:43 pm

"That's exactly what I'm trying to prevent. Regardless of whatever you can push through the parliament, I'm sure you understand this is going to be a long and difficult process. Nacthur won't be Nerathi in a day, or a year; too much history. I'm just hoping we can make a bit of our own."
    elanya
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya 21/03/13, 11:50 pm

"I do understand, and I appreciate it, thank you. I'm not going to give up hope that we can pull this off, either. Its good to know that, if it comes to it, there is a backup plan."
    Josh
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh 22/03/13, 12:20 am

"Well, it pays to be prepared. I'm certain your father taught you that. Your mother, too."

Irek set down his glass, having finished his drink.

"Lord Callais, Lomion Harrowden, we've all got a lot of work ahead of us, and little enough time to do it. I wasn't my intention to deprive you of your...sleep; this felt like information best delivered in person. I'll be sure to keep you similarly informed in the future."
    elanya
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya 22/03/13, 12:39 am

"Well, you clearly know how to find us, though I generally prefer to keep daytime hours. If we do find out more about how the stone came in to this, or where to look for an organizing power - I suppose there are ways of contacting your people?"
    Curtana
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana 22/03/13, 12:42 am

"I'm sure he'll know shortly after we do," Aleyn said dryly. "He'll file it away along with our preferences in wine and what we wear to bed."
    Josh
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh 22/03/13, 12:55 am

"Neither is particularly difficult information to obtain, really, though only the former seems useful," Irek offered with a smile. "As much as it goes against my instinct, maybe a show of good faith would help here."

He extended his hand towards Vedran.

"Irek Himrall."
    elanya
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya 22/03/13, 01:10 am

Vedran's eyebrows shot up in surprise, but he took the offered hand. "Vedran Callais," he answered reflexively, "of course... I hope we'll both find our faith well placed."
    elanya
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya 22/03/13, 11:39 am

Vedran sighed after they saw Irek out. As much as it was a show of good faith, having his name meant that, if necessary, they could use sending to reach him as well. He rubbed his temples, giving Aleyn a resigned look. "I guess I better get out the book."
    Curtana
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana 22/03/13, 03:11 pm

Vedran was finishing writing an update to their companions when Aleyn came up behind him, putting his hands on tense shoulders and rubbing them gently. "That's good enough for now," he suggested. "Let's not sit up waiting for a reply - we can answer any questions they might have tomorrow." He was unsettled himself by the revelations, and wondered if they would get any sleep tonight at all. "Do you want to talk about it, though?"
    elanya
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya 22/03/13, 03:17 pm

"I don't know." He leaned back into Aleyn's touch with a sigh. "My gut was telling me these things were connected, that there were ties somewhere between the cult and Damakos's research... I guess maybe it wouldn't have mattered if we had known. I'm glad we went after them when we did though, especially if they were already looking in Hiskaru when the Pak got there.. But this really changes the fight. I just don't know."
    Curtana
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana 22/03/13, 03:24 pm

Aleyn hesitated. "So do we... do we know we can even trust Sorrow, and all the Dead Rats? I know they're the main people who seem to have been involved that far back, but you know them better than I do - could any of them be a leak?"
    elanya
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya 22/03/13, 03:31 pm

"I think we can. I trust that they are on our side, at least. If that weren't the case, I think Dheni would have seen something, at least? I think that, whoever is behind things, they've been really careful to work through others and not show their hand - whatever they've been telling peeple hasn't been the truth, so tracing them through the information is going to be hard, even if its all we've got."
    Curtana
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana 22/03/13, 03:39 pm

"Even someone who's on our side could inadvertently be a leak... through mind-affecting or scrying magic, or someone who's a trusted connection to one of them, or just plain foolishness, talking where they shouldn't, that sort of thing... But I take your point. This person or people, whoever they are, are careful, but they don't seem to have all the information - the Thunderbolts didn't see any sign they were in Moro, for instance, right? So either they didn't know that was a place to look, or they didn't have the resources to get there as fast as our guys did." Aleyn offered Vedran his hand, making to lead him in the direction of the bed, where at least they could lie down while they talked.
    elanya
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya 22/03/13, 03:52 pm

"Right." he stood, letting Aleyn lead him over to the bed to sit instead and leaning back to let the other man start to help him undress. "Maybe they didn't have the resources to go after both at once? What I want to know is - do they know what we're doing now? Maybe the others can find out more in Hiskaru - I'm not sure exactly what they were up to, and Kallista didn't really give many details. Should have asked."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content