Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

2 posters

Cousin Comforting

Genevriel
    Genevriel
    Demigod
    Demigod

Cousin Comforting Empty Cousin Comforting

Post by Genevriel 22/12/14, 02:36 pm

Gen left the translated works of Jahrom untouched on her cotside table somewhat reluctantly; she was holding off on beginning to read it until more pressing matters were attended to. Those matters mainly involved Dorien.

The scones were still warm by the time she knocked on Dorien's door, not really knowing if he'd even be at home, or whether he'd still be at the hospital with his family.
    tuck
    tuck
    God
    God

Cousin Comforting Empty Re: Cousin Comforting

Post by tuck 23/12/14, 04:18 pm

It had been a long night. The hospital chairs were uncomfortable to sleep in, and the looks of disdain from Lucette had been difficult to ignore, thoguh he had tried as hard as possible, partly for his parents sake and partly for his own. In the end he'd managed to nod off for a few hours early in the morning, but it hadn't been much and it hadn't been great.

Around lunchtime his mother had sent him home despite his protests. He was perfectly prepared to stay home sick from work, but he needed clothes and real food and he might as well pick up some reading material or something else to keep him distracted while he waited.

Stepping out of the cab in front of his apartment seemed so surreal to him now. It seemed like a lifetime since he'd left the night before. What surprised him most, however was seeing Gen standing on his doorstep with a small box. He sighed, figuring now would be as good a time to talk to her as any.

"Gen..." he said, coming up the steps behind her, trying not to startle her in the process "I'm right here. Sorry, just now getting home..."

Last edited by tuck on 23/12/14, 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Genevriel
    Genevriel
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Genevriel 23/12/14, 07:01 pm

Dorien looked wan and beaten down, and Gen's heart went out to him. "Hi Dorien," Gen gave him a tentative smile. "I... um... baked some scones. And I have a jar of crabapple jelly that Mme. Rocher gave me. I hope it tastes good. I thought... you probably wouldn't really feel like cooking for yourself. But you've got to keep your strength up. So... here." She held out the box for him.

tuck
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck 23/12/14, 10:59 pm

"Thanks..." Dorien said, accepting the box gratefully. He unlocked the door and opened it.

"You want to come inside? I need to head back to the hospital, but it'll take me a few minutes to get some things together."
    Genevriel
    Genevriel
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Genevriel 23/12/14, 11:04 pm

"I'll come in if you'd like me to. I don't want to be a bother, though. Is there anything I can help with? And how is Uncle Jerard doing? How are *you*?"
    tuck
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck 24/12/14, 12:40 am

"No, thank you. I just need to grab some clothes. The scones will be a lifesaver as is. As for father, he's... not great. But he's recovering." Dorien said as he stepped inside and turned on the lights. It seemed like Argent was either out or asleep.

"The doctors can't say what'll happen. He could be fine or it could happen again tomorrow."

Dorien conspicuously failed to answer her last question.

"I'm sorry I asked you to come with me. I understand why you didn't."
    Genevriel
    Genevriel
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Genevriel 24/12/14, 11:54 am

"I'm glad your father is still with us. I'll keep praying for his recovery." And for you, Gen thought, but she didn't think Dorien would really appreciate hearing that, since he was very rational. She noticed that he didn't tell her how he was, but she could guess that it was not good. She wasn't going to prod, however; she hated the prodding when it was turned on her.

"I would have gone with you, for you, if there weren't all these other complications," Gen offered empathetically. "When Aunt Sylvise isn't preoccupied with your dad, and is strong enough to hear about my mother, please let me know. I... can't keep putting that off forever.

"But don't worry about me right now. I'll be okay. I have a book I've been wanting to read since I was a little girl. That will keep me out of trouble." Gen cracked a brave smile for Dorien's sake. "You just focus on yourself and on your family. And remember that I love you."
    tuck
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck 24/12/14, 12:15 pm

Dorien paused in his step at those last words. He turned to his cousin.

"Gen... you are my family. I can't help worrying about you. And I love you too."

Careful to avoid her hands, he put his arms around the tall woman and hugged her close.

"We'll tell mother together. I promise. As soon as father is out of the hospital."
    Genevriel
    Genevriel
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Genevriel 25/12/14, 10:42 am

Gen carefully hugged her cousin back. Although it was not the hard, strong hug she would have liked to give him, it would have to do. "Okay, Dorien."
    tuck
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck 27/12/14, 03:31 pm

"Could you let Titania know that I'm not going to be in tonight?" Dorien asked when they let go of each other, "I don't want her to think I jumped ship or something. Just say it's a family emergency. I should be back tomorrow depending on how things go."
    Genevriel
    Genevriel
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Genevriel 27/12/14, 09:10 pm

"Of course, Dorien. I actually left work last night, myself. With permission. I'll drop by and let them know early this afternoon that you won't be able to come tonight. That will probably go over better than telling them when our shift would normally begin."
    tuck
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck 29/12/14, 03:52 pm

"Thanks," Dorien said with a nod, "I appreciate it. I owe you one." He opened the door to his room and began sorting through a pile of clothes by his bed.

"Are you... Sure you're going to be ok?" He asked, hesitantly.
    Genevriel
    Genevriel
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Genevriel 29/12/14, 06:52 pm

"Absolutely. I'll be reading Jahrom's treatise in star substance, translated into Aveyronnais."

Gen looked happier and more excited to Dorien than she had since he had first run into her in Diablotin several months ago.
    tuck
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck 29/12/14, 08:46 pm

"Jahrom..." Dorien said with a raised eyebrow, "I didn't know you had an interest in Cosovode philosophy. I've seen commentaries on it in some cosovode manuscripts, but I could never get hold of an original. I didn't know there had been a translation."
    Genevriel
    Genevriel
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Genevriel 30/12/14, 05:07 pm

"Well, there are, I suppose, a few translations out there, but the one I'm about to read is by M. Sanadhil Orecalo, whom I encountered this morning. He said it was the most widely available translation. I'd offer to lend you the copy I have when I'm done with it, except that it's his... Maybe he'd be willing to lend it to you, though, if you asked? He works at the Castalia." Gen provided Dorien with M. Orecalo's office location. "It's mostly Jahrom's philosophy on the stars that I am intrigued by, though if this work includes more, I'm sure it will be an interesting read."
    tuck
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck 06/01/15, 04:26 pm

"Orecalo..." Dorien said the name aloud, "If I remember correctly he's a fairly prestigious researcher. I think my sister may have been working with him... or maybe for him... at some point. I remember the name, at least. How did you wind up with his personal copy?"
    Genevriel
    Genevriel
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Genevriel 06/01/15, 08:56 pm

Well, Gen thought, in for a copper, in for a gold. Dorien would either give up on her sanity completely, or roll with it as she was becoming accustomed to do. "I... was up on the Downs last night after you left. It's the only place you can really see the stars clearly, in the city. I spent a long while up there. I met a woman with a strange cat who told me I need to find someone named Silvia. I'll know her because one of her eyes is green and the other is clouded. After that, I headed home, but it was cold and... I was tired, and I must have stumbled and twisted my ankle and passed out from the pain, because this morning I woke up when an elf prodded me with his walking stick. I was in his yard. He wasn't very happy about that. He started trying to... get into my head... which I couldn't stand, so I was rude. But in the end we were civil to one another, and he offered to lend me his book when I told him I'd always wanted to read Jahrom's complete works on star substance."

Gen paused to collect her thoughts; that was the longest tumble of words she had strung together in months, perhaps years. "I think he might have been interested in me. Which is all right, as long as he doesn't try to turn me into an object of study."
    tuck
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck 08/01/15, 09:57 am

Dorien paused for a moment to consider his cousin.

"Sounds like you had quite a night..." he said, finally. He had no real reason to doubt her story, strange though it was. At the very least she seemed happier than he'd seen her since they were children, and that had to count for something.

"Is your ankle better?"

Last edited by tuck on 09/01/15, 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
    Genevriel
    Genevriel
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Genevriel 08/01/15, 07:51 pm

Gen nodded. "They healed it this morning.  I wasn't sure if they would. It seems wrong to ask for healing for myself. Anyway, you should get the things you came for, and go where you are needed. I'll let them know at the cabaret not to expect you tonight."

Gen frowned slightly. She had been granted a gift of healing... would it work to mend what was wrong with Uncle Jerard? But surely the clerics at the hospital had already tried. Surely?

"Dorien... I feel so stupid. Did someone with healing magic look at your father?"
    tuck
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck 11/01/15, 12:16 pm

Dorien nodded as he packed the last of his things into a small bag and tied it closed.

"Of course. He has money, it's amazing what kind of medical care being a judge will get you access to. Unfortunately there's not a lot they can do other than monitor him and wait for his body to heal itself."

Dorien moved to hug his cousin carefully.

"I doubt there's anything you could do for him that they haven't already, even if you did go. But I'll keep you informed. Hopefully he'll be out in a few days if all goes well."
    Genevriel
    Genevriel
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Genevriel 11/01/15, 12:20 pm

Genevriel nodded and gave her cousin another careful hug back. "I realized just now that I don't really know anything about the limitations of healing magic... It wasn't something I ever was interested to read about. I should remedy that.

"Take care, Dorien. I'll keep praying for your father's recovery."

One last hug and Gen left on her way to the cabaret to pass along Dorien's message.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content